Going into the military




Why I chose the US Army as a career? Twenty-five years later the answer is one of a life changing experience, it is one of looking back and counting your blessings because in and of yourself it can be hard making a career in the US Army. I was born in Mobile Alabama and raised in Irvington Alabama where I attended Alba High School and graduated with honors. I attended Alabama State University (ASU) on a Tuition Scholarship and at ASU is where I met my future husband Renardo Edwards after two years at ASU.  We both transferred to University of Alabama in Birmingham. Moving to Birmingham was both a blessing and a curse. We were stable and all, and, we had our first child there, but it always seemed in our present condition there was only so high you can go in Birmingham.  


That's when I decided I had to get out of this place. I begin researching the opportunities that are provided by the military. I contacted a recruiter and he had me take the ASVAB where I scored a 125 which opened up my choices for almost whatever career I wanted in the military.

My Husband was working at Bruno’s Distribution Center when I told him that I was joining the military, he was very reluctant at first and tried to convince me otherwise.  However, it was to no avail. I was dead set on joining the Army. He and I were both students at UAB and I was working as a secretary for a local contractor. I felt that I would never get a fair shake in Birmingham seeing how my coworkers were getting promoted and raises when my job performance was either as good or even better. My husband, whom is a hard worker, would on occasion get hurt because the work at the distribution is hard and strenuous, I knew he would not be able to do that job later into his adult life and knowing that I felt that the best thing for my family was to sign the dotted line and become a soldier in the US Army.


I begin training for basic 6 months out. I ran Legion Field to build up endurance, until by the time I left for Fort Jackson I was ready. I trained on pushups but that was a struggle, but my husband helped me enough so that I would at least pass the minimum requirement.  Nevertheless, in basic you are trained and drilled every single day.  To many people's surprise, Basic Training isn’t designed to weed people out, but to get the future soldier ready for their life as a soldier. Basic Training, for me was an eight weeklong course.  It was enduring Field Training Exercise (FTX), training at the gas chamber (Nuclear Biological and Chemical or NBC Chamber) and getting to fire an M203 grenade launcher. Basic wasn’t bad at all. I met a lot of good people, and I learned a lot about myself and what I was truly capable of. 


After Basic Training, I went to AIT (Advanced Individual Training) this is a course that is MOS (Military Occupationally Specific) specific so many of your friends you met in basic. This was the point of separation and many of those people I’ve never seen since basic or AIT. My AIT lasted a total of a few months, it can be shorter of longer depending on your MOS or the career you choose.

My first duty station was, Fort Lewis, Washington.  Needless to say, it was an initial cultural shock coming up from the south. Moving to, Tacoma, Washington, was an eye-opening experience because there are a lot of people that prey on soldiers. My unit tried their best to shield us from this. We were at Lewis for six years where we were able to get stabilized and well-adjusted to the area. 

 I grew up poor, but I was intelligent and raised in Irvington Alabama. I felt that there was nothing the Army could throw at me to include two deployments to Iraq. I was able to see Korea, England, and Germany while I was in the Army all experiences, I highly doubt I would’ve ever done any of that without my service in the US Army. There are a lot of great things about the Army the people you meet and the things you are afforded to do for your family like being able to pay for your children college by sharing your Post 911 GI Bill Benefits, and a host of other benefits that last long after your service.

I am a Retired Veteran, something I look back on with great pride and joy.  That being said, I put my life on the line for my family and country.  Joining the military, whether it is the Army, the Navy, the Air Force, the Marines, or the Coast Guard, it is something that will serve you well long after you call it a career.  For instance, with the GI Bill, you can go to college for free, and even pass

the benefits down to your kids. You also receive a pension after serving 20 years, based on a percentage of your basic pay, and in certain states, like Alabama, the pension is tax free. Another benefit is the VA loan which will allow you to purchase a home with no money down. There are not as many women as men in the military, but if you're smart enough and tough enough then you too can make a career in the US Army.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Baby Step 2a: The reason your debt snowball isn't working part 1

Felicia Gill Bio- Career Advisor at Calhoun Community College part 5 of 5

Chauncey Turman - Career Biography part 1 of 2